Sunday, November 30, 2014

Day 22 - Answering Questions

May 17, 2008

I was so tired today and just could not get a good picture. Hopefully tomorrow.

I thought today I'd answer a couple questions that have been asked:

Hi Melissa, Congratulations on completing week 3! I am curious about how often you drink your juice, especially on a "run around" day like you mentioned today. How do your days out and about differ from a more typical day?

(I left off the name because I am unsure about blogging etiquette...)

I probably drink a half to a quart of juice every 1 1/2 or 2 hours I think (I follow my hunger). Usually I make my juice in the morning: at least 2 quarts of some sweet juice and 2-3 quarts of savory. When I go out I take at least one quart of sweet and one quart of savory just so all my cravings are covered. I put a couple ice cubes into my juice jars, and if I'm taking the car I will take a cooler and put all my juices in there. I also usually take a canvas bag so I can carry at least one juice around with me - usually I'll put in two (one sweet, one savory.)

Today I had:

  • water, lemon and MSM (I also took an enzyme capsule this morning)
  • juice of two oranges with water, bee pollen and chlorophyll
  • 1 quart green vegetable juice from yesterday (the one with squash)
  • 1 Tbsp coconut oil, honey, spirulina
  • 1 quart: tomato, celery, yellow pepper, onion, garlic, ginger, lime, cilantro, spinach, parsley, with hemp oil and spirulina
  • juice from a couple young Thai coconuts (shared with Ella)
  • some avocado with lemon juice and salt
  • 1 quart: celery, cuke, carrots, ginger, garlic, onion, pepper, mints, greens, apple, lemon, lime, salt
  • nettle tea
  • 1/2 quart water with lemon, honey and MSM

Another question I received:

I am curious about the small amount of avocado that I see you've had along with your feasting. Is that just something you're for a reason? I thought maybe you know something I don't.

No, actually, avocados are not really on the juice feast. They contain fiber and so should not technically be eaten - it slows down the cleanse. I don't know why I continue to eat them - probably some emotional crutch that I haven't let go of, yet. (I also don't filter all the pulp out after squeezing my orange juice - yikes!)

Finally, I'm asked quite a lot about fiber, as in, "but there is no fiber! That's not really natural..."

It is true this feast does not contain fiber. For the best and complete information, please see www.juicefeasting.com. From what I understand, this juice feast is not meant to be a diet that is followed indefinitely. It is meant as a healing diet which can safely be followed at home (due to the high nutrient and calorie content, unlike something like extended water fasting.) Once people have reached their ideal weight and have NO health issues remaining, it is best to go off the feast, or go to a modified juice feast (watch David and Katrina's Day 71 video on www.globaljuicefeast.com. Basically a modified juice feast consists of a diet high in juice: 2 - 4 quarts, plus fruits and veggies, but no nuts and seeds.) This juice feast is meant to span up to 3 months (92 days) or so, when tackling health issues. If after that length of time health issues still remain, it is still best to come off this feast and go onto a modified juice feast, in which you eat healthfully in addition to consuming lots of juice (the Gerson diet is one example of this.)

The lack of fiber allows the body to go into a cleansing and detoxifying mode. The purposes of this feast are to: rehydrate, alkalize, cleanse and rebuild.

I've also been asked for some recipes and more about the supplements, so I will get to those soon!

Thanks for reading!
xoxo
~Melissa

3 comments:

Penni said...

Great post! You did a beautiful job of answering these questions. I'm not familiar with the Gerson diet, but it sounds like something from which I would benefit. Hope you are having a great, juicy weekend!

Peni

Melissa Sokulski said...

Thanks, Penni!
I'm not too familiar with the Gerson diet/Gerson therapy either, but David and Katrina mentioned it in their day 71 video, and I checked out the website: www.gerson.org about the Gerson Institute for cancer treatment. I also requested a book by Charlotte Gerson from our library.
~ Melissa

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, again, Melissa!! I'm super proud of how well you are doing with your juice feasting goal!!!

I have a question to add...where are the new pictures of you?! I'm especially waiting for pics of the gymnastic moves! ;-)

Lots and lots of love to you, my lovely juicy friend!

Wendi
XOXOXO