Monday, June 30, 2008

Green Smoothies and teeth health

I have begun a green smoothie challenge! The daily emails I have been receiving by signing up for this challenge have been so great. Really inspiring and I recommend signing up for this. I've been picking so many greens from my garden daily, and blending them with fruit (and adding some of the supplements and superfoods I have on hand). Fun and delicious.

Also, I am working on the health of my TEETH! I have black spots (and lots of yellow/brown ones, too) along the gumline. I had a totally surreal experience at a (holistic, biological, mercury-free) dentist on Friday -- really awful! He just began berating me, and I honestly could not understand where he was coming from or what he meant. I literally ran out of the office in tears. The bizarre thing: that is the second time I've gone to a dentist (different ones, both recommended to me) to take care of those cavities and get some dental care, and neither one did the work. The first one charged me $50, just for looking at my mouth and agreeing I needed dental work. At least this time I didn't have to pay (for being insulted and condescended to....) So, I guess either I haven't found the right dentist, or I'm meant to solve this problem myself (truth is, I am not a fan of dentists, anyway, and that is an understatement.)

I am working on a regimen that I hope results in healthy white teeth. It includes lots of greens, minerals, herbs, mouthwashes, perhaps supplements. The teeth are related to bone, and I feel like one's teeth most likely reflects one's overall health and state of bones (and in Chinese medicine, kidney energy), so I'll do my best to boost that. I'll report back with specifics. Unfortunately...I did have some Thai food today and now my one tooth (with the big black spot, on the left) is aching. So at least I know.

In general I have been doing great with raw. My plan is: smoothies in the morning and evening, and seaweed/veggie salad during the day. If hungry: raw seed "breads", veggies, fruits, juice, or more green smoothie. And lots of water. I do notice that I do lots of grazing almost all day, which I don't think is the best thing for my teeth. I noticed yesterday because I made up a cell salt formula for my teeth (calc phos, calc fluor, kali phos and silica) and I am supposed to take it away from food...and there was hardly ever a time that I hadn't eaten for a while or wasn't just about to eat.

4 comments:

Kristen's Raw said...

So sorry to hear about your dental experience. I just had my amalgams removed yesterday (4 or them) ick!

Hope the extra greens help you out :)

Cheers,
Kristen

Michelle Spohn said...

Hi Melissa,
I used to have an avoidance of dentists until I met and have continued to go to the most wonderful dentist here is PGH. He is a warm human being with a good heart. He was the first dentist that told me NOT to give flouride in anything to my son until he had mastered the skill of spitting! He is gentle and kind. I had let a tooth go until it was so decayed it had to have a root canal and he NEVER said a bad word to me. I told him I was afraid of dentists and he understood. I have gone now every 6 months for 2 years. Let me know if you want his info.and I will email it to you. Michelle

Melissa Sokulski said...

Michelle,
I would love to have that dentist's name and info, please do email it to me: medamoso@yahoo.com
Thanks!

Lisa (Pixywinks) said...

Check out www.toothsoap.com Lots of info on youtube about it too and it really works.
XO
Pixy Lisa