Thursday, July 10, 2008

Those yummy green chips

After reading the post about kale chips on We Like it Raw, I just had to try some! I substituted broccoli greens from the garden for kale and made this marinade for them:

  • olive oil
  • wheat-free tamari
  • lemon juice
  • garlic
  • chili powder

I dehydrated overnight...they were sooo good! I love how they don't shrink away like zucchini chips. I ate them up and the next night I made them with collard greens from a friend's garden, with one plantain leaf thrown in there to see how it would turn out. Yum!
So today I went out and harvested a lot of plantain:



marinated it, and it is now in the dehydrator. I also decided to try some daylily petals:



Here they are marinated and on the tray (before dehydrating):



Being flower petals, they did shrink a bit and I only left them in for three hours and now I've eaten them all.

Speaking of the garden, here are some carrots I harvested the other day: (I've never been able to grow carrots)



I grated them and an apple, chopped some broccoli greens and some dates and made a dressing by blending soaked cashews, miso, garlic and a bit of water, and mixed it all together. It was also quite delicious.

2 comments:

Lisa (Pixywinks) said...

I'm quite jealous of all the food you are foraging and getting from your garden. Just so you know.
XO
Pixy Lisa

Penni said...

Way to eat local, Friend! I didn't try carrots this year in my garden but I do have celery that actually looks like it might be doing pretty well! I have yet to try the kale chips, but perhaps I'll give it go this weekend. Your post seals the deal!

xo....Penni