Sunday, November 23, 2014

Day 27's confession

May 22, 2008


My dog Maggie

I'm just so proud of my dog Maggie today! At the end of Ani Phyo's book Ani's Raw Food Kitchen she has pictures of her raw vegan dog with dog treat recipes and dog feeding ideas - including giving the dog the ends cut off veggies (the ends of cukes, etc.) And so I thought about all my pulp...

We've fed Maggie various diets, following various philosophies, cooked veggie, raw meat and veggies, etc, and she doesn't seem to do much better on anything. She's such a great dog...but kind of low energy, itchy ears, and she's getting older. But of course, I would love to feed her healthy foods again (versus the dry dog food.) So I scooped up a big bowl of veggie pulp (no onions, though! Onions are not good for dogs,) but I knew she wouldn't eat it. She is a very picky eater and doesn't even really like dog food (which probably shows good taste on her part, actually). So of course, she did not touch the pulp. I sprinkled nutritional yeast on it, and drizzled olive oil on top, but she still wanted nothing to do with it. Then I thought about cheese - her very favorite foods are beans and cheese - and I grated a bit on top. Of course she ate the cheese, but she continued to gingerly eat around the bowl and eventually she ate nearly the whole bowl of raw veggie pulp! Go Maggie! So now I'm thinking about her diet again....

Today my juices were:

  • water with 1/2 Tbsp msm and lemon
  • 1 qt apple, strawberry, mints from garden with chlorophyll
  • 1 qt butternut squash, tomato, garlic, yellow bell pepper, celery, hemp oil, spinach, cilantro
  • 1/2 qt watermelon juice with chlorophyll
  • 1 quart veggie juice with the squash (as above)
  • juice of 1/2 grapefruit and one orange with bee pollen
  • will have more watermelon and/or veggie juice because I am hungry.)

I am out of coconut oil! I didn't even get my treat today (coconut oil with honey and spirulina.) I have some coming from iherb.com (remember - you can use code MEL526 on your first order and you will get $5-off.)

Also out of yellow bell peppers and avocados.

Today I have a confession. Along with my avocado (which isn't actually on the juice feast), I grated a bit of carrot and chopped a bit of tomato and ate it with lemon juice, salt and dulse. It was a tiny plate, but so filling and satifying. (I was so hungry and had made D and E amazing-looking veggie sandwiches! I should have made my juice first....)

But anyway...I'm still continuing forward. Still counting up my days. All in all I feel I am getting lots of benefits and I'm doing fairly well...so onward.

Added a bit later...

So, after writing the above entry (and trying not to feel bad), I read in Matt Monarch's blog about the book that started his raw journey: Become Younger by Norman Walker (our library doesn't have it! I'll have to try one of those interlibrary loans....) Dr. Walker's keys to vibrant health were:

1. Eating a 100% Raw Food Diet
2. Drinking a Variety of Vegetable Juices Daily
3. Cleansing the Colon Periodically


So, ok...still doing ok. I even did an enema this morning.

2 comments:

Michelle Spohn said...

Melissa, I know you mentioned that you composted the pulp - but I kept thinking...wow, that is ALOT of pulp.lol And I always look at my beautiful pulp and wonder what can I do??. I have made muffins for my son. I have 2 cats but I cant imagine getting them to touch it...then again they do love grass! So way to go on having your dog help you with all that pulp...please let us know if she continues to eat it! ps. one of our cats is a 2 year cancer survivor of a very aggressive cancer (mast cell) and I know after his surgery and continued treatments that changing his diet w/added suppliments has kept him healthy. take care, Michelle

Anonymous said...

Yay for Maggie!! We've been peeling our veggies into Julia's dish and she loves the scraps. I kept thinking she only needs meet, since dogs are carnivores, but she LOVES fruits and veggies and nuts and seeds, so we let her have them (but not onion, peppers, or macadamia nuts). Maybe one day we'll try the veggie diet for her, but for now she really loves her raw meat. :-P

Lots of love to you,

Wendi Dee
XOXOXO
www.purejeevan.com/blog