Sunday, November 16, 2014

Day 34: Another rawking pulp idea - fermented veggies!

May 29, 2008


Today I had another idea for using the pulp: include them in fermented veggies!

I had decided to make fermented veggies so as not to waste the beautiful organic cabbage that I bought but did not like in juice. I LOVE making (and eating) fermented veggies. I even got to see Sandor Katz recently at our coop: I love his book Wild Fermentation.

I cut up the cabbage, added some of the pulp from my beet, carrot, green juice from today, added some broccoli from the fridge and some arugula from the garden (I love arugula in salads, and it is at its peak right now in our garden, but it tastes too overwhelmingly spicy to me in juices. Yesterday I gave most away to a good friend, and today I chopped some into the fermented veggies.) I mixed it all up with salt, kelp and some unpasteurized mellow white miso (which I have been craving!) and water. I've never used miso before in fermenting veggies, but I've heard of it being used. Then I stuffed it into a couple of jars (picture below), and it'll ferment on the counter top for a few days and then I'll refrigerate it until after my feast.



My juices today:

  • 1/2 qt: watermelon, apple, ginger, lime and greens from yesterday
  • 1 qt: strawberry, apple, celery, cuke, mint
  • 1 1 /2 qts: beet, carrot, celery, apple, ginger, garlic, cuke, parsley, cilantro, sprouts with hemp oil and spirulina
  • 3/4 qt: apple, orange with water and bee pollen

I haven't drank all the juices from today yet, and I'll possibly make more of green something later. I'll add if I do.

2 comments:

Lisa (Pixywinks) said...

Do you have the Boutenko's book "Eating without Heating"? They have a very simple and really good kim chi recipe in there you might like.
XO
Pixy Lisa

Anonymous said...

Ooh! Melissa!!! You can do a JUICE PULP recipe book!!!!!

I bet you could sell a lot of them to everyone who hates to waste the pulp!

Lots of love to you,

Wendi Dee
XOXOXO
www.purejeevan.com/blog