Saturday, November 8, 2014

Week 6 Pictures



June 6, 2008

Top: Today, after 6 weeks of juice feasting; Below is the before picture

Wow, I really do see a difference. Which makes it stink even more that I ate some (cooked) food tonight. Yes, I am annoyed with myself. I was so tired and hungry after having been out all day and my green veggie juice was so oddly tasteless and uninspiring, which I have no idea why. I'm also stressed that my parents are coming Sunday and I know they'll want to eat out and they don't know I'm juice feasting and they are not usually supportive of things like this. But as my husband says, "there's no reason you can't go and juice again tomorrow."

Starting weight: 182 lbs
Today: 161 lbs


Today's juices:

  • almost a quart juice of a bunch of oranges with water and bee pollen and chlorophyll.
  • 1 quart beet, carrot, apple and greens with hemp (very good)
  • 1 quart watermelon with chlorophyll
  • 1 1/2 quarts green veggie juice: greens (I'll write about them below), yellow pepper, ginger, garlic, onion, tomato, cucumber, celery, cilantro, parsley.




Above are my garden greens and weeds that went into my juice today. You will see some nice big red clover blossoms on top! Today I've included information about some of the herbal greenery that goes into my drinks: comfrey, plantain, borage, red clover, lamb's quarters.

Comfrey: Peter Holmes, in The Energetics of Western Herbs Volume II, writes: "There is no doubt that Comfrey has always held pride of place as the foremost botanical for promoting tissue healing." It is mainly used for treating bone fractures, hemorrhages, wounds and ulcers, as well as all types of lung ailments, especially bronchitis. It is also particularly effective in treating painful arthritis, gout and the like.

Plantain: In Holmes' book plantain is categorized as "clears heat and toxins, reduces infection, inflammation and relieves swelling; promotes detoxification, removes lymph congestion and benefits the skin."



Plantain: Plantago Minor


Borage: Similar to comfrey, borage also clears heat in the lungs. It also relieves constipation and promotes lactation (great for me!), supports the heart and lifts the spirit. Nice. I had some in my juice today...I'll be sure to add some more leaves tomorrow. (The blue star shaped flowers haven't bloomed just yet in my garden.)

Red Clover flower: According to Holmes, red clover flower promotes detoxification, clears damp (a term used in Chinese medicine), dissolves deposits, relieves eczema and reduces tumors; promotes urination and relieves irritation.



red clover blossom on the left, lamb's quarters to the right


Lamb's Quarters: my herb book does not contain lamb's quarters...but this is one of my favorite edibles! Here is what wildman's website says: "This European relative of spinach and beets, which grows throughout the North America, bears large quantities of edible, spinach-flavored leaves you can collect from mid-spring to late fall. It's one of the best sources of beta-carotene, calcium, potassium, and iron in the world; also a great source of trace minerals, B-complex vitamins, vitamin C, and fiber."


close up of lamb's quarters


Much love,
~ Melissa

Please sign up for our monthly newsletter! We have raw recipes, information about Acupuncture and Chinese medicine, and overall wellness information. Thank you!

www.BirchCenter.com

4 comments:

Michelle Spohn said...

Hi Melissa,
Just wanted to give you a pat on the back for hitting your six weeks! Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your parents coming...those situations are difficult for me too and I have never gone as far as a juice feast! Isnt it interesting that people accept someone drinking only "slimfast" because they are on a "diet" but find healthy juicing (or juice feasting) to be odd?...I hope that your parents will see the difference in your appearance and support you in your juice "diet". You look vibrant and years younger in your six week picture. Forgive yourself for food - it doesnt take anything away from your accomplishment. Thanks for your inspiration! Michelle

Penni said...

I think you are looking great! I know how hard it can be at times, but there is no doubt that juice feasting is so purifying and healing to the body. Do be sure to listen to yourself....if it starts feeling forced or if you lose your drive and crave food for three consecutive days, it may be that your body is trying to tell you it's time to quit. I should have quit at about 60 or 70 days but I kept pushing myself to finish the 92 days. I won't do that next time I juice feast.

Sending you all the best!!
Penni

Anonymous said...

Six weeks!!! WOW!! You are doing so great and you look fantastic, Melissa!!

*HUGS* I know it's stressful to have your parents visiting and it's easier to eat cooked foods to numb the emotions, but then you add more emotions on top of it since you'll be feeling bad about eating the cooked foods. I wish I was there right now to hug you. *HUGS*

How are you feeling, physcially? Maybe you can list all of the positive things you've been experiencing on the juice and that will help you continue if you feel you don't want to stop the feast?

I'm sending lots and lots of love to you!

Wendi
XOXOXOXO

www.purejeevan.com/blog

Lisa (Pixywinks) said...

You look amazing! Love the info about the greens too. Thanks bunches.

I was able to just finish my juice feast and post-feasting before I went to visit my parents this year. I knew I would catch some grief if I wasn't eating. They had a hard time understanding my eating just greens and fruit. My mom kept wanting to "make me something". Gotta love a mother's love...

XO
Pixy Lisa