Friday, November 14, 2014

end of week 5! (Day 36)

May 31, 2008



I didn't get to post yesterday, but above is a picture taken this morning: after 5 weeks of juice feasting! You can visit here for "before" and "week 4" pics.



A couple days ago I learned about Black Locust Flowers from Anthony (The Raw Model)'s blog, and we had to go out in search. We found one just down the street, overflowing with ripe flowers! We harvested them and of course I had to try them (or I'd have to wait until next year.) They were sweet and delicious and would be lovely in juice. The one we found was really just past it's prime, but driving around we see them everywhere, so if another opportunity presents itself, I'll harvest a bunch more for juice and report back.

Here is a closer view of the flowers:



They look like pea flowers and the tree is in fact a legume. Here is more information about Black Locust Flowers.

My juices today:

  • 2 quarts watermelon with 1 Tbsp chlorophyll
  • 1 1/2 quarts beet, carrot, apple, garlic, ginger, celery, cucumber, parsley, cilantro, greens with hemp oil, kelp and spirulina
  • 1/2 quart orange juice with water and bee pollen
  • 1 qt tomato, yellow pepper, onion, garlic, cilantro, celery, basil, olive oil, lemon, salt - I decided to add the nightshades back in because a week without them didn't make any difference in my achiness

And back from grocery shopping, so I did chop up a bit of avocado with DULSE (which I was absolutely craving...still am) and fermented veggies. I wonder if I'm craving salt/sea veggies because I haven't been quite getting my full bunch of celery in every day? That would put me lower in sodium and probably craving it.

Oh, a special note: those jam/jelly bags from the kitchen store work brilliantly! Really, really well (dare I say better?) They are nylon, but don't have the tie string, instead they have an elastic band around the top. So I couldn't hang it up, but it didn't really matter - I hooked it around my big measuring cup and held it open, poured in the blended juice (yeah! The blender is sooo much easier to use and clean than the Champion!) and squeezed it through. So easy! So sturdy! I'm so happy about that! They were: Fox Run Kitchens (TM) 2 Jelly Strainer Bags for $3.99 at "In the Kitchen" - a kitchen store in The Strip (Pittsburgh.)

6 comments:

Melissa said...

Melissa,

Thanks for the info about the jelly bags. I am planning on trying these when I start my feast here in the next month.

Just a question, how were they for letting pulp out? Did you notice if there was any pulp in your juice after using these at all?

Enjoying your blog...keep up the good work, congratulations on Day 36!

Penni said...

Girl, friend...you are looking divine! I'm serious. The difference is so obvious and you are glowing. I am sorry you're still dealing with the aches and pains. Juice feasting doesn't cure it all overnight, but it was at about 45 days that some of my symptoms started to evaporate for good.

Thank you for all of your support to me....it has meant so much!

Penni

Lisa (Pixywinks) said...

Congratulations on week 5, you look great. And your little one is beautiful.
XO
Pixy Lisa

Melissa Sokulski said...

I haven't noticed any pulp getting through the new bags. The only thing is that since there is no draw string to close the top, be careful of filling it too full or you may squeeze the pulp out the top.

Michelle Spohn said...

Melissa,
The picture of you with your little girl is just amazing. What an accomplishment to make it through 5 weeks! The info on locust trees was fascinating to me. This was a grand year for them blooming in PGH and the scent of them was incredible. I will definately try to harvest some next year! You know I was intrigued by a squirrel last week biting off branches full of blooms and carrying them high into his tree - and I wondered if he was eating them!!! Now that I read your info I am sure they were lunch!! Michelle

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful picture of you and Ella!!! I love that picture, Melissa!!

Lots of love to you,

Wendi Dee
XOXOXO
www.purejeevan.com/blog