Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Guacamole at Cheesecake Factory and 'Zine-making

June 9, 2008

Two additional restaurant finds are:

~ At the Cheesecake Factory: made-to-order guacamole with a small tossed salad (not-so-small beautiful raw salad with lettuce, carrot, zucchini, beets and cukes.) I asked for sliced cukes to replace the tortilla chips with the guac order and I brought my own miso-orange dressing (but the guac itself actually made a great dressing, with a little extra lemon juice and salt over the greens.)

No tomatoes or salsas, though, because of the recent "Salmonella scare", which I feel may be being used as a scare tactic to make people fear raw veggies and so people will want the gov't to "take care of us" by doing things like pasteurizing almonds and mangoes and genetically altering things for our "safety." Of course, this is another entire issue, but I really do think the money is in keeping people sick but alive, and fresh raw fruits and veggies defeat this purpose and so are a big threat to the powers that be!

~ At Kassab's Lebanese restaurant: fatoush without the pita chips. Parsley, lettuce, tomatoes (oh yes, they used tomatoes...not that I trust these pale wilty restaurant tomatoes, mind you...I'm not saying there isn't salmonella out there, especially with factory farm grown tomatoes), onions, cukes with lemon juice, sumac, salt and other spices.

I wouldn't make it a habit of eating out on raw, but since my parents only want to eat out, I have been happily surprised to find these lovely options around town.

Of course, I did bring a big beautiful salad from our garden, with a delicious salsa I made with our luscious cilantro and some more of my marinated portabello. I ate that for dinner along with the fatoush. I also munched flax crackers and the flax/seed bread throughout the day, and had some soaked prunes this morning. Oh, and I ate the mint cacao raw bar Wendi gave me, and I did make (and eat a little) raw cacao fudge: pecans, shredded coconut, cacao powder, coconut butter/oil, honey and a tiny bit of salt and vanilla.

Today's juice:

  • 1 qt of the beet, carrot, apple, green etc juice from yesterday
  • 1 quart (split into 1/2 quart am and 1/2 pm) of orange juice with water and chlorophyll. The morning juice also had bee pollen.

I heard that the Carnegie Library in Oakland is doing a girls and women zine exchange at the end of July! I love zine-making, though I haven't made one since college. But I thought I'd make a zine about my 42 day juice feast. I am very excited about it. I'll probably write summaries/highlights/experiences of each week and add artwork, pictures, quotes, whatever! I'll put recipes and resources and lots of other juicy things.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like it's a nice visit with your parents. I'm so glad you are able to find ways to still be raw and eat at restaurants with them!! :-)

There's a scare on tamatoes right now? I had no idea. I'm not afraid of eating fresh veggies--I wash them well and I'm healthy enough to fight off anything that can't be washed away. :-P

How exciting to do a zine! I would have joined you, but I'm soooo busy these days that I just can't even think about doing something else. The house is moving along slowly...but it is getting done. Did I tell you the realtor shows up on the Monday before Jim's family arrives? I CAN'T WAIT!!

Lots and lots of love to you,

Wendi
XOXOXO

www.purejeevan.com/blog

Lisa (Pixywinks) said...

Glad you found some things to eat with your family. Sounds like you are having a great time!
Pixy Lisa