Saturday, November 22, 2014

Pulp Ideas - day 28 (week 4!)


May 23, 2008


before (above), and at the end of week 4

starting weight: 182
today's weight: 165 (lost 17 lbs so far!)


I'm sleepy today and it's only 6:45 pm.

I went running this morning (23 minutes) and then to my yoga class, which was nice. Today I drank juice while the family and in-laws ate food from a delicious Thai restaurant, not easy! My juice was intense: most of the greens were wild edibles including garlic mustard, comfrey, plantain, dandelion.... plus chives, arugula, spinach, kale from the garden. I think the garlic-mustard, chives and arugula made it quite sharp (and it was bitter, too, probably from the dandelion greens.)

My juices:

  • pineapple, mints, plantain and comfrey
  • squash, tomato, cuke, celery, garlic and wild edibles + garden greens
  • watermelon juice
  • juice of a young coconut (but then I also ate the very young, pudding-like flesh
  • yam, carrot, celery, ginger, garlic, spinach
  • juice of 1 grapefruit and 3 oranges with water and 1 Tbsp bee pollen

I also took six tablets of spirulina, put hemp oil in my veggie smoothies and had MSM (which I think makes me feel nervous/anxious...I'm going to have to watch that.) Also had roobios red chai with honey.

It's also hard to type right now because the middle finger on my right hand has a painful crack. (That's not meant to be complain-y, I'm just noting a symptom, here.)

And here's a response to another question: what do you do with all that pulp? People wonder about all the pulp generated by juice feasting, so I was thinking about some suggestions of use for it (especially to people who are also eating with juicing.)

  • We have started mixing it into our dog's food. Today I put it in with black beans, nutritional yeast, olive oil and cheese and she ate a good amount. Just be careful not to have onions in it...onions are bad for dogs.
  • compost it. We do this a lot and at least then it goes back to the earth and nourishes the soil we will use for the garden next year.
  • If cooking: put it into muffins, pancakes, cakes, etc. If it's savory (like mine was tonight) I put it into black bean/mung sprout pancakes that I made for the family for dinner (oh, my, did they smell good!)
  • put it into dehydrated flax crackers...yum.
  • When I was eating cooked foods but juicing a lot, I would mix some mayonnaise right into the pulp (mostly carrot and some celery) and this was excellent as a sandwich spread! At the time I used regular mayo, but you could use raw mayo, too. It would make a good sandwich spread, cracker topping or dip.
  • Use it in raw mock tuna salad. Ani Phyo calls for carrot pulp in mock salmon recipes.
  • Use for raw carrot cake - especially good if you've made apple carrot juice! Can use the pulp and mix some raisins and nuts in, with some cinnamon, cloves or other spices...very good.

There are lots of recipes for raw carrot cake and mock tuna salads in raw food prep books, and recipe sites on line, like www.goneraw.com or www.living-foods.com. (The recipes on goneraw seem amazing...I cannot wait to try them when I am eating again.

So...hopefully this is helpful!

And finally...



who is that crazy lady doing a handstand?

:-)

4 comments:

Candice Davis said...

Very cool handstand! Looks like you're doing great!

Penni said...

Sister...you are getting your groove on! Your weight loss is astounding and your before and now pics tell a grand story of renewed svelteness! I am sending you a long distance high five right now.

I applaud you!

Lisa (Pixywinks) said...

That handstand is amazing! I've never been able to do one.

I feed my dogs raw meaty bones and they are doing quite well on them. I fed my previous dog kibble most of her life, then when she got sick, I switched her over to a raw diet, but her digestion was compromised so I had to cook her food for her. I'm sure that added at least a couple of good years to her life. There is a book called "Natural Health for Dogs and Cats" by Dr. Pitcairn that has a lot of good recipes. You may be able to find it at the library.

You are doing great. Your weight loss is amazing!

XO
Pixy Lisa

Anonymous said...

WHOA!!! You didn't tell me there was an amazing pic waiting here for when I catch up with the blog entries!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!! I'm SUPER impressed, Melissa!!!! WOW!!

You are doing so AWESOME, Melissa!!

Lots of love to you,

Wendi Dee
XOXOXO
www.purejeevan.com/blog